Not able to attend the Travelling Health Fair? Visit our virtual health fair instead.
Below you will find a variety of screenings, tools and resources to help you assess your current health status and make improvements towards a healthier self.
- Kidney Health Self-Assessment: An online self-assessment to find out if you should have your kidneys checked based on risk factors.
- Kidney Health Challenge & Calendar: Take the kidney health challenge by downloading a calendar with daily prevention tips.
- Guide to Protecting Kidney Health: Follow a simple six-step guide to protecting the health of your kidneys.
- Diabetes Fact Sheet: More than 3 million Canadians have diabetes. Find out more about the different types of diabetes and how they are treated.
- Diabetes Risk Questionnaire: Are you at risk of having prediabetes or type 2 diabetes? Complete the Canadian Diabetes Risk Questionnaire (CANRISK) test today to find out.
- Diabetes Action Plan: A personal action plan that can be customized to fit your needs for diabetes management.
- Healthy Eating: Tips for healthy eating, diabetes prevention, and management.
- Blood Pressure Tracker: Track your BP daily, weekly, monthly.
- Canadian Diabetes Risk Questionnaire: Are you at risk of having pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes?
- Importance of Knowing your Numbers: Find out what constitutes healthy blood pressure readings, cholesterol levels and lifestyle habits.
- Pharmacists Clinic Check-Up: Visit the UBC Pharmacists clinic on the Point Grey Campus to check how all your drug therapies are working for you, review your medication and receive education and information related to your health.
- Take a Heart and Stroke Risk Assessment: Confidential, online risk assessment from the Heart and Stroke Foundation.
- Anxiety Disorders Screening Test: BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions offers an anonymous online screening for anxiety.
- Covid-19 Mental Health Check-in: Canadian Mental Health Association self-assessment resource.
- Depression Screening Test: BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions offers an anonymous online screening for depression.
- Mental Health Meter: Reflect on your unique strengths and identify areas where your level of mental fitness could be improved to help you cope with all of life’s ups and downs.
- Mental Health Screening: This is a quick and anonymous way to find out if you should consider connecting with a family doctor or a mental health professional.
- Mental Wellbeing Screening Test: BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions offers an anonymous online screening for overall mental wellbeing.
- Risky Drinking Screening Test: The University of Victoria’s Centre for Addictions Research of BC provides an online Alcohol Reality Check.
- Stress and Depression Risk Assessments (Sunlife): You must have a ‘mysunlife’ account. Log in and click on the ‘Wellness Centre’.
- Stress Strategies: A decision-making tool for building an action plan to help reduce and manage stress.
- What’s your Stress Index? The habits, attitudes and signs that can alert us to problems may be hard to recognize because they have become so familiar. Find your stress level right now by completing this test.
- Your Life at Work: Gain insight into how you’re managing stress levels, and coping with the demands at home and work. Receive a one-page report that can be actioned or shared with health professionals. (Globe and Mail and Howatt HR).
- Cancer Screening-It’s My Life: Stop cancer before it starts with the help of a screening tool from the Canadian Cancer Society.
- Healthy Weight Action Plan: Free, self-guided 12-week program to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.
- Prostate Cancer Screening: Everything you need to know about testing, risk factors and doctor recommendations according to Prostate Cancer Canada.
- Speak to a Dietitian, Nutritional counsellor or Naturopath for free through UBC’s EFAP: Call 1-800-387-4765
- Take the ‘Be Active’ Quiz
- Tips to help you move more: Move UBC
- You Check-Men’s Health Screening: All it takes is 10 minutes to see your next 10 years. Anonymous and confidential.
- Check-in with Your Lungs: Interactive lung health checklist from the Lung Foundation of Australia.
- Clean Air and Lung Health Quiz: Test your knowledge of the latest statistics on the impact of air quality on lung health (European Respiratory Society).
- Do you Have Asthma? Get the answers: A guide for the diagnosis of asthma and asthma management.
- Contact UBC's EFAP provider LifeWorks and ask them how to access their online smoking cessation program.
- Assessing your Financial Situation: A 3 step process for discovering your net worth.
- Financial calculators: Assess and illustrate your savings, loans, RRSP’s and more.
- Mental Health Meter: Online assessment tool designed to help you determine your level of mental fitness.
- Anxiety Disorders: Brochure summarizing different types of anxiety disorders ‘
- Coping with stress: Guide to help you understand and manage stress in your life
- Mental health for life an overview of the four main factors which affect our mental health
- Getting a good night’s sleep: To improve your sleep, try some of the following strategies
- Sleep Diary: track your sleep, see habits and trends that are helping you sleep or that can be improved
- Four Stage Breathing Guide: exercise on slowing your breathing
- The Mediterranean Diet: A Guide to Healthy Eating: reinforces the benefits of eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, fish, high-fibre breads, whole grains, and healthy fats
- Mediterranean Diet Sample Menu: checklist for the Mediterranean diet along with 2 sample days of 1500 calories.
- Mediterranean Diet Sample Menu: This handout provides Mediterranean diet sample menus for individuals who are following a 2000 kcal Mediterranean diet.
- 10 ways to reduce your cancer risk: Learn about the impact of cancer and how to reduce your risk
Complementary and holistic medicine
Considering Complementary Medicine?
Clinics, organizations and practitioners that UBC Health and Wellbeing has used in the past include:
- Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine: Naturopathic education institution.
- EFAP Naturopathic Services Customized health and wellness information and materials on choices related to physiology, diet, lifestyle, and mental/emotional well- being, including illness prevention strategies.
- Integrative Healing Arts: Naturopathic, Chiropractic, Holistic Nutrition, Acupuncture and Chinese Medicine.
- Thara Vayali: Naturopathic Doctor and Healthy UBC presenter.
Spiritual and emotional health
What is Mindfulness? Understand how to use mindfulness in your life to assist with your personal wellbeing goals. Find out about upcoming training and support programs.
Health resources on your smartphone
- Mindshift: A free app from Anxiety BC designed to help teens and young adults cope better with anxiety.
- LifeWorks app: UBC’s EFAP provider LifeWorks has a mobile app with information, support and practical solutions for work, health and life. There is an Android and iOS app.
- My Fitness Pal: A free app designed to make tracking calories and daily exercise easy!
- my Sun Life Mobile: Submit claims, check coverage and manage your workplace savings.
- Sworkit: Create personalized workouts based on interest, equipment, time and level. Includes custom videos to help support you in your goals.
- Waterlogged: A free app that helps you track your daily water intake and will even remind you to hydrate throughout the day with an alarm that sounds like running water.
Free online resources
If you like learning about your health on your own time, in your own way, then LifeWorks is for you. Find free access to articles, advice and learning opportunities through UBC’s Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) provider, LifeWorks. For information about how to login, visit this reference page.
Last updated: November 2021