The Extraordinary Expense Fund (EEF) was established by UBC to help protect researchers by providing a fund for extraordinary expenses not otherwise covered. The fund applies to researchers with:
- Grant- and contract-funded staff and faculty
- Postdoctoral fellows with employee status
- Postdoctoral fellow award recipients who either receive their earnings through UBC or who receive funding directly from a source external to UBC.
The EEF is governed by the Extraordinary Expense Fund (EEF) Policy (Policy FM7 – Contract Employees Fund (pdf, formerly Policy #86). The Office of the Vice-President (Research) has overall responsibility for the policy.
Postdoctoral Fellows status and eligibility
Postdoctoral fellows were included in the policy on the following dates:
- Postdoctoral fellows with employee status – effective April 1, 2011
- Postdoctoral fellow award recipients who receive their earnings through UBC – effective April 1, 2011
- Postdoctoral fellow award recipients who receive funding directly from a source external to UBC – effective September 1, 2011.
Expenses that are eligible for reimbursement from the EEF include the following
Contributions to the fund
The extraordinary expense reimbursements are funded by contributions, typically collected from grant and research worktags (Cost Center/Program/Project/Gift/Gift Initiative/Grant/Activity) with a different approach in place for PDF award recipients.
Where contributions have been paid on the salaries or earnings of grant- or contract- funded staff and faculty, postdoctoral fellows employees or award recipients, an application may be made for reimbursement of eligible expenses listed above.
Eligibility for reimbursement from the Extraordinary Expense Fund
In all circumstances outlined below, EEF contributions must have been paid on the salary or earnings of the grant- and contract- funded staff or faculty member, postdoctoral fellow employee or award recipient for whom the extraordinary expenses are being applied for.
Request for reimbursement from the Extraordinary Expense Fund
To make a request for reimbursement from the EEF, the grant holder (and/or the individual who has sign-off for the worktag) must complete, print and sign either:
- the Tri-Agency EEF reimbursement request form for tri-agency grant- or contract-funded employees, or
- the Non-Tri-Agency EEF reimbursement request form for non tri-agency grant- or contract-funded employees.
Questions and contacts
Applications for EEF reimbursement and related queries should be directed to UBC's benefits department by e-mail or by calling 604 822 6823.