Position management – general
Q. I’ve created my job description in my position, but I can’t use it in the Openings / Postings module?
- This can happen for two reasons. If you are going to use a position for a posting, then you must click the ‘Will you be posting this position?’ check box on the Position Information Tab of the position.
- If your position is M&P, Excluded M&P, Service Unit Director, or faculty, it may be waiting for approval.
Position management – job standards
Q. What are the job standards used for?
- They provide a general description of duties and qualifications for a specific classification and grade. Use them to determine if the job code you chose on the Position Information Tab is correct.
- The education and work experience on the job standard are used in the Qualifications Tab of the position.
Position management – workflow
Q. I don’t understand what this is used for.
- This is where you choose who will approve your posting and your offer in later steps.
- Approvers must already be set up with a position. Enter the position number of the approvers here.
- You can have the same approver for both steps, or two different approvers.
Create openings / postings
Q. Why is there an opening and a posting?
The opening is created once. You can then add the original posting, plus any number of reposts. All are attached to a single opening. You can only repost up to 90 days after the original posting.
Q. How do I do a repost?
- If your closed posting resulted in a poor applicant pool, you can repost.
- Use the Manage Applicants and Opening module to access your job opening.
- Go down to the bottom of the Opening Details page and add a second posting with the new dates.
Update openings / postings
Q. How do I update an opening? The openings / posting menu only lets me create new ones?
Openings are updated via the Manage Applicants and Openings menu. Open the job opening by providing the job opening ID, or by selecting it from the list. Locate the Job Opening Details hyperlink on the main page. Use this to go to the job opening to add interviewers, do reposts, etc.
Managing applicants – general
Q. When can I start managing my applicants – shortlisting, interviews, offers, etc.?
As soon as the posting is closed, with the exception of faculty jobs, you can start doing these activities. Faculty job openings can be acted upon immediately as applicants apply.
For CUPE 2950, CUPE 116, and BCGEU-Okanagan, Human Resources must do a manual release after they have checked the Duty to Accommodate and Recall candidates have been taken into consideration and are prioritized correctly.
Managing applicants – adding an applicant
Q. I’ve received a paper application. Can I get the information for this applicant into the system?
- Yes, use the Manage Applicants page.
- Click the Add Applicant hyperlink. On the Add Applicant page, you can choose whether the applicant is internal or external, add the applicant’s contact information, and upload a resume.
Managing applicants – route / shortlist applicant
Q. Do I have to route / shortlist my applicants?
It’s not mandatory. However, this feature is used to make applicants accessible to your interview team in Self-Service.
Managing applicants – schedule interviews
Q. I’m getting an error message saying I must set up applicants for interviews. What does this mean?
Generally, interviews are not mandatory. However, for staff recall, notice and DTA applicants, you must record them as having been interviewed using this feature.
If you attempt to make an offer but have recall, notice, or DTA applicants that have not been set up for an interview, you will get an error.
Managing applicants – offers
Q. I want to offer a job to an applicant that is different than what I created in the job offer. Can I do this?
For staff, no. The job offered must be what was used from the position and job opening. If you want to offer a different job, then you’ll need to start over.
For faculty, this is a common situation. You can change the job code on the offer page. However, before you do this, you’ll need to adjust the job code in Position Management.
Managing applicants – pre-hire checklist
Q. What do I do with the pre-hire checklist?
- It’s simply a list of things to consider uploading to support your offer.
- It’s based on faculty requirements, but some of the list is applicable to staff.
- You can optionally update each checklist item as you get the information. You can also remove items that don’t apply.
Managing applicants – uploads
Q. I tried to upload a document but the system wouldn’t let me. Why is that?
The list of document types is comprehensive to the entire upload page. However, the page is divided into several sections and some documents can only be uploaded to a specific section.
Managing applicants – preparing an applicant for hire
Q. Can I print the appointment details for a new hire?
Yes, there is a ‘Print Appointment Details’ button at the bottom of the Appointment Information tab of the Prepare for Hire page. Make sure you save the page first. Either do a save for later, or print after clicking the Save & Submit button.