We all need some extra support when the hard times hit. At UBC, the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP), offered through Morneau Shepell’s Lifeworks, is a confidential, voluntary, short-term solution-focused counselling support service that provides you and your family with help to resolve a wide range of personal, work, health or life issues.
To access the EFAP Care Access Centre (CAC), call 1-800-387-4765 or visit workhealthlife.com (Note: Use University of British Columbia as your organization)
When should I utilize EFAP?
EFAP can be utilized for concerns, issues, or questions that you might have regarding your or your loved ones’ wellbeing. Some of the common reasons for accessing EFAP include:
- Emotional and mental health concerns
- Life transitions
- Health coaching
- Substance use and addiction/recovery (alcohol, drugs, gambling, smoking cessation)
- Work/life balance
- Stress management (including work and COVID-19 related stress)
- Financial, legal, and nutrition support
Confidentiality and professionalism
Your confidentiality will be respected when you utilize EFAP. Morneau-Shepell ensures that no one from UBC will be aware that you have contacted them, and the only data received by UBC is aggregate summaries about the types of services accessed.
You will interact with experienced professionals through EFAP – the clinical counsellors have a minimum of five to 10 years of EFAP related counselling. Additionally, the professionals responsible for work/life services have designated credentials based on their specific area of expertise.
What are some of the counselling resources available through EFAP?
Online group counselling is a form of counselling where multiple participants discuss anxiety with a counsellor in a private and secure online chat environment. Online Group Counselling consists of four one-hour sessions. Group interactions allow participants to build relationships, gain encouragement from others, and receive feedback on how to meet goals and overcome challenges.
- Anxiety: This online group is designed to support you with the anxiety you are experiencing due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Parenting: This online group is designed to support you in parenting your school age child through the COVID-19 pandemic.
Health and well-being online programs and consultations are aimed at helping you make healthy choices.
- Nutrition: Consult with a registered dietician about diet and making healthy choices.
- Smoking Cessation: Personalized and interactive programs aimed at helping you quit smoking.
- Stress: Learn to successfully manage stress and make meaningful changes in your life.
If you have any questions about EFAP, please contact email@example.com
- Healthy UBC