If you are eligible and enrolled in the Health Spending Account (HSA) benefit, please note that the end of 2022 is approaching and any remaining credits from 2021 need to be claimed by December 31, 2022. The HSA provides an annual credit to pay for certain medical expenses that are not covered by UBC’s Extended Health and Dental plans.
How the HSA program works:
- Those who are eligible receive a credit, specific to their employee group, on January 1 each year.
- This credit can also be used towards eligible dependent’s claims (spouse, partner, dependent children)
- The employee can carry forward the unused portions of the credit for one year.
- If you have a carried-forward amount and don’t use it by December 31, you will lose the carried-forward amount.
For Faculty and BCGEU Childcare employee groups, the HSA benefit was brought in as of January 1, 2021. If you are a member of one of these employee groups, we recommend that you review their Sun Life account to see how many credits you have remaining for 2021 and 2022 so you don’t miss out on this new benefit!
Example: Parvin is a member of the Faculty employee group, and has used up all of her coverage for Registered Dieticians through the Extended Health Plan. During her last visit, she had to pay the fee in full. But, Parvin can now submit a claim through MySunLife and use her remaining balance on her Health Spending Account to access a reimbursement for her visit to the Registered Dietician.
Here is how to find out how many credits you have remaining:
- Login to your Sun Life account at mysunlife.ca
- Click on Coverage information >
- Under ‘my coverage’, go to the Spending Account box
- Click on Health Spending Account balance
Here is how to submit an HSA claim:
- Benefits FYI