Conflict Theatre offers faculty and staff the opportunity to explore and embrace conflict in the workplace using the tools of theatre.
An exploration of workplace conflict
Can you remember the last difficult conversation you had? If you had another chance, would you handle it differently?
Tailored to the UBC context, Conflict Theatre offers a new way to look at old patterns and build the courage to approach workplace conflict differently.
How it works
Conflict Theatre uses interactive and embodied methods, including forum theatre, to approach and practice difficult conversations in the workplace.
In forum theatre, a play is created and performed by community members, not professional actors, and is presented back to the community.
The audience is welcomed to intervene in the scenes to explore how the story might play out differently. It's a unique opportunity to rehearse courage and apply new strategies to real problems. No acting experience is required. Individuals are invited to participate and to expand their comfort zone in a way that feels appropriate to them in the moment.
Whether you attend a workshop or watch a performance, you'll:
- strengthen empathy and understanding for multiple perspectives within conflict
- foster a curiosity-driven approach to conflict, rather than one that is confrontational, fearful, or defensive
- encourage self-reflection to better understand your own emotions, context, perspective and patterns during conflict
- gain a better understanding of how conflict arises, what keeps it going, and how it can be navigated
- become attuned to the systemic drivers of conflict and the leverage points available to address them
- join a community of colleagues interested in changing campus culture regarding conflict
What's available for faculty and staff
A number of offerings are available for faculty and staff as individuals, as well as for your team or department.
Managers can learn more about Conflict Theatre for teams, including custom performances, workshops, and multi-day sessions.
Who's behind it, and contact information
Conflict Theatre is an initiative of UBC's human resources department in collaboration with the equity and inclusion office, and the department of theatre and film.
For more information about our individual professional development opportunities, email Conflict Theatre.