UBC staff can access professional development funds to support career growth at the university.
The current PD funding year = April 1, 2022 through to March 31, 2023
Workday Claim Submission Reminder: When completing a PD Fund related expense report in Workday, select your PD Fund name as the expense item and leave the current date as the expense date for each expense item line (i.e. expense date selected must be April 1, 2022 or later), otherwise, you will not draw down on your PD Fund total eligible amount for the current year and you will encounter an error message when you try to submit your expense report.
Updates for the 2022-23 Funding Year:
Posted April 1, 2022
M&P staff PD Fund individual maximum increased to $750
For the 2022/23 funding year, the individual funding maximum for Management & Professional staff (AAPS) has increased from $550 to $750. This $200 individual increase is possible due to cumulative funding increases made to the overall budget during the 2019-2022 UBC - AAPS Agreement period to support the increased use of PD Funds.
Claim submission timeframe increased to 90 days
For staff and Research Associates, excluding BCGEU Okanagan, we have extended the claim submission timeframe from 60 to 90 days. As of April 1, receipts for PD expenses may be submitted in Workday within 90 days of the original purchase date to qualify for reimbursement.
New funding year begins April 1, 2022
As of April 1, PD Funds for staff and Research Associates will become available for the new funding year. There are no changes to the established individual funding maximums with the exception of Management & Professional.
For more information, read the full notice here.
Funds can be used for a variety of professional development activities based on your learning goals and career path at the university.
- Receipts must be submitted in Workday within 90 days of the original purchase date to qualify for reimbursement.
- Please note that you cannot split the cost of a PD related expense between two funding years.
The funds aren't intended to cover job-required expenses such as job-required training, professional memberships or ongoing accreditation. These expenses should continue to be paid by your department.
Examples of eligible expenses for staff
- resource books and professional journals
- registration fees for courses, workshops, exams, webinars, and conferences
- professional memberships and certifications that are not required for your job
- one-on-one career coaching fees, when provided by an ICF – credentialed coach
- travel and accommodation for out-of-town conferences, as per Policy FM8 – Business Expenses and related documents
Examples of ineligible expenses for staff
- activities or travel to fulfill required work-related responsibilities
- activities taken for health and wellness, general interest, or recreational purposes (including related equipment).
- local travel expenses ( parking, gas, meals, transit)
- academic student fees
- application software or licensing (examples such as adobe creative cloud, lucidchart, trello)
- home phone, data or internet plans
- electronics such as laptops, ipads, mobile phones, e-readers,
- office equipment or supplies
- professional insurance
Funding details by employee group
The funds are negotiated as part of the collective agreement bargaining process for most employee groups.
Before submitting a claim, review the details below for your employee group to:
- review the PD Fund guidelines for your employee group.
- find your individual claim limit each year.
How to submit your claim
Notice: DO NOT SUBMIT A CLAIM IN WORKDAY UNTIL APRIL 1, 2022, THE START OF THE NEW FUNDING YEAR.
Submit your PD fund claims directly through Workday. For step by step instructions, as well as general resources and help with Workday, visit the Integrated Service Centre. After logging in with your CWL, you can search the knowledge base for instructions on how to submit a claim. Please search for the following knowledge base articles:
- View My Professional Development Funds ( I need to check my PD Fund balance)
- Claim expenses against my PD Funds ( I have out of pocket expenses or used my UBC credit card to make my PD purchase)
- Transfer PD Funds reimbursement to my department ( My department or grant initially paid upfront for my PD expense)
Please confirm that your PD Fund Reimbursable Allowance Plan is assigned in Workday (see “View My Professional Development Funds” knowledge base for instructions.)
If you plan to make a claim and your PD Fund plan is not currently assigned, submit a Workday support request as soon as possible to have this issue resolved. Select HCM/HR as the ticket category. Select Professional Development Fund as the subcategory.
Your claim will be reviewed by a PD Fund Expense Partner within 15 business days, however the processing time may take longer if you submit an incomplete claim or if information is missing. You will receive the claim back if the PD Fund Expense Partner requires additional information or if your claim is ineligible for reimbursement.
Your manager or supervisor will check your claim as it related to your current role and career growth, and approve directly in Workday.
About your reimbursement
Funding is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Once your claim is processed you’ll receive confirmation in Workday.
- If you paid out of pocket, you'll be reimbursed by direct bank deposit.
- If you paid with a UBC credit card (card in your name), your expense will be reconciled directly from your PD Funds.
- If your department paid on your behalf, your department will be reimbursed directly by general ledger credit.
PD funds and taxation
The funding provided is not included as taxable income on your T4 slip. This means that you cannot claim the value of any funds received through this program as part of a tuition tax credit or for any other credit on your annual tax return. Please refer to Canada Revenue Agency – Eligible Tuition Fees for more information.
What managers need to know
As a manager or supervisor, you are accountable for reviewing the relevance of your faculty or staff's PD Fund claim as it relates to their current role and career growth.
View more information on the page for managers and administrators.
If you have questions about these funds or how to submit claims, please contact Integrated Service Centre.