UBC staff can access professional development funds to support career growth at the university.
Funds can be used for a variety of professional development activities based on your learning goals and career path at the university.
- Receipts must be submitted in Workday within 60 days of the original purchase date to qualify for reimbursement.
- Please note that you cannot split the cost of a PD related expense between two funding years.
The funds aren't intended to cover job-required expenses such as job-required training, professional memberships or ongoing accreditation. These expenses should continue to be paid by your department.
Examples of eligible expenses for staff
- resource books and professional journals
- registration fees for courses, workshops, exams, webinars, and conferences
- professional memberships and certifications that are not required for your job
- one-on-one career coaching fees, when provided by an ICF – credentialed coach
- travel and accommodation for out-of-town conferences, as per Policy FM8 – Business Expenses (pdf) and related documents
Examples of ineligible expenses for staff
- activities or travel to fulfill required work-related responsibilities
- local travel expenses ( parking, gas, meals, transit)
- academic student fees
- application software or licensing
- home phone, data or internet plans
- electronics such as laptops, ipads, mobile phones, e-readers,
- office equipment or supplies
- professional insurance
Funding details by employee group
The funds are negotiated as part of the collective agreement bargaining process for most employee groups.
Before submitting a claim, review the details below for your employee group to:
- review the PD Fund guidelines for your employee group.
- find your individual claim limit each year.
How to submit your claim
Submit your PD fund claims directly through Workday. For step by step instructions, as well as general resources and help with Workday, visit the Integrated Service Centre. After logging in with your CWL, you can search the knowledge base for instructions on how to submit a claim. Please search for the following knowledge base articles:
- How do I view PD Funds? ( I need to check my PD Fund balance)
- How do I claim expenses against PD Funds? ( I have out of pocket expenses or used my UBC credit card to make my PD purchase)
- Transfer PD Funds reimbursement to my department ( My department or grant initially paid upfront for my PD expense)
Your claim will be reviewed by a PD Fund Expense Partner within 15 business days, however the processing time may take longer if you submit an incomplete claim or if information is missing. You will receive the claim back if the PD Fund Expense Partner requires additional information or if your claim is ineligible for reimbursement.
Your manager or supervisor will check your claim as it related to your current role and career growth, and approve directly in Workday.
About your reimbursement
Funding is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Once your claim is processed you’ll receive confirmation in Workday.
- If you paid out of pocket, you'll be reimbursed by direct bank deposit.
- If you paid with a UBC credit card (card in your name), your expense will be reconciled directly from your PD Funds.
- If your department paid on your behalf, your department will be reimbursed directly by general ledger credit.
PD funds and taxation
The funding provided is not included as taxable income on your T4 slip. This means that you cannot claim the value of any funds received through this program as part of a tuition tax credit or for any other credit on your annual tax return. Please refer to Canada Revenue Agency – Eligible Tuition Fees for more information.
What managers need to know
As a manager or supervisor, you are accountable for reviewing the relevance of your faculty or staff's PD Fund claim as it relates to their current role and career growth.
View more information on the page for managers and administrators.
If you have questions about these funds or how to submit claims, please contact Integrated Service Centre.