Managing at UBC is a leadership development program designed to equip newer managers with the foundational skills, knowledge and tools to succeed and grow in leadership roles at UBC.
Managing at UBC is designed to support staff who are newer to managing teams. Over eight-months, leaders from across the university will come together to share experiences and learn best practices on topics related to leading self, leading teams, and leading within the organization.
The next cohort of Managing at UBC will take place October 2020 to May 2021. All sessions will be held online.
For information on Managing at UBC at the Okanagan campus, please review the UBCO HR website.
Applications for the 2020-2021 program are now under review. To ensure that all qualified applicants are fairly considered, a lottery may be implemented as part of the selection process.
Applicants will be notified of their program status by email in September.
What to expect in the program
The program will take place from October 2020 to May 2021, and all program sessions will be held online. Through the program, you'll:
- expand your understanding of what it means to manage and lead at UBC.
- increase your ability to identify and work towards professional goals.
- support your ability to set and meet organizational goals.
- increase confidence in your ability to manage and lead others.
- build community with your peers.
Please ensure you can dedicate the necessary time to fulfill the program requirements before applying.
The Managing at UBC program is open to the following staff:
- M&P employees only
- Is currently in a management role, with direct staff report(s) (managing work learn/student appointments not eligible)
- Have been in current management role for three years or less
- Can commit to engage fully in program offerings and assignments
- Demonstrates willingness and commitment to one’s own learning and development
- Has support from their manager for full participation in the program
What supervisors need to know
Managers need your support, too. Learn more about what it means to support a manager enrolled in the program by reviewing the Learning Sponsor Agreement Commitment (pdf). Supervisors need to review and sign this document as part of the application process.
Managing at UBC supports Catalyst 2: I can grow my career and Catalyst 4: I am inspired by diverse leaders who live UBC’s values of the Focus on People 2025 framework through fostering professional and personal growth. The program also contributes to furthering authentic conversations for colleagues to hold each other accountable for inclusive and impactful leadership across the university.
"The program exposed me to other UBC staff managing in other departments, which was a great opportunity to network, but also gave me exposure to the breadth of UBC’s vast organization.”
UBC recognized for coaching programs
Managing at UBC won two prestigious awards in HR.com’s 2017 LEAD Awards.
In 2018, UBC earned an honourable mention through the International Coach Federation's 2018 International Prism Award. The honourable mention is recognition that our coaching programs have fostered personal development while shaping organizational culture and addressing strategic goals.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the program team at firstname.lastname@example.org.