The Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge is an annual, fun and inclusive way to encourage staff and faculty to take the stairs. Stair climbing is a great way to boost cardiovascular health, build muscle and strengthen the core. And the best part about it? It’s free and you’ll have a chance to win great prizes! All abilities are welcome to participate. See below for accessible participation options.
Please consult with a physician before participating if you have any existing medical conditions.
Challenge details and important dates
Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge will run from July 5, 2021, to Aug 2, 2021.
Registration Deadline: June 25, 2021, 4pm
To join the challenge, please follow these instructions:
Check here each week to see who is in the lead!
Please note if you or your team hasn't been listed in the weekly leaderboard, it's because the submission was sent after the due time, the submission was incomplete or the submission wasn't received. If this has happened, no problem - you can still submit and it will still count towards next week's leaderboard and your totals.
Week 1 Leaderboard
- Top 30 Solo Climbers Leaderboard
- Team Leaderboard (Rank is based on average flights climbed per person in team).
Week 2 Leaderboard
Week 3 Leaderboard
Popular stairs and Hikes*
- UBCV’s Top Stair Challenge Stairs & Hikes to Climb
- UBCO'S Top Stair Challenge Stairs & Hikes to Climb
*Please assess the safety of these areas and adhere to Covid-19 public health orders when choosing a climb.
- Participation prizes will be awarded each week through random draws.
- A prize will be drawn at the Meet Up events.
- One individual prize will be awarded for the highest climber in the individual category after four weeks.
- Team prizes will be awarded based on the highest average points per participant after four weeks for the top-performing team.
- Check out these Pick Your Peak Selfies!
As you find ways to conquer your chosen peak, please remember that there are some safety concerns as we take on this challenge. There have been some extreme heat warnings recently for most of B.C along with air quality advisories, plus there is the ongoing public health guidance around COVID-19. Please adhere to current public health orders to keep yourself safe as you and your colleagues take on the Pick Your Peak Challenge.
For additional information about staying safe in hot temperatures please visit:
For information about COVID-19 public health orders please visit:
Please help us share these Stair Challenge resources:
- Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge Instructions One-Pager
- Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge Poster
- Pick Your Peak Twitter shareable
- Pick Your Peak Facebook shareable
- Pick Your Peak Instagram shareable
Did you know?
- Stair climbing requires 8-9 times more energy expenditure than sitting.
- It counts as ‘vigorous’ physical activity and burns more calories per minute than jogging.
- You burn roughly 1.5 calories for every 10 steps.
- For buildings with five floors or less, it’s nearly always quicker to take the stairs.
- Studies show office workers save up to 15 minutes a day by taking the stairs.
- Stair climbing cuts carbon emissions. You could save between 0.3 & 0.6Kg of CO2/day.
- It can lead to improved cardiovascular health and stronger joints and muscles.
Start training now with this Stair Climbing Workout, beginner and advanced.