What is the Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge?
The Pick Your Peak Stair Challenge is an annual fun and inclusive way to encourage staff and faculty to take the stairs. Stair climbing is a great way to boost cardiovascular health, build muscle and strengthen the core. And the best part about it? It’s free and you’ll have a chance to win great prizes! Please note Pick Your Peak is on hold until further notice.
All abilities are welcome to participate. See below for accessible participation options.
How to get started:
- Each team member must register here by 4:00 p.m. on June 12.
- Receive your Pick Your Peak registration package (via email the week of June 10)
- Select the peak you are striving to climb
- Log your daily flights of stairs on the personal Daily Step Tracker
- Log your weekly totals on the master Team Tracking Sheet (submitted at the end only)
- Climb, climb, climb!
- Submit totals after four weeks by 4:00 p.m. on July 19 (submission form will be available soon)
- Have fun and a chance to win great individual and team prizes!
*Please consult with a physician before participating if you have any existing medical conditions.
We suggest you ‘pick your peak’ based on the average number of flights you think you can climb each day or based on your personal fitness goals.
|Peak||Height (in metres)||Average # of flights/per day to reach this peak|
|Diamond Head||232 m||3|
|Burnaby Mountain||370 m||5|
|Stawamus Chief||700 m||9|
|Table Mountain||1085 m||14|
|Grouse Mountain||1231 m||16|
|Cypress Bowl||1432 m||18|
|Mount Olympus||1950 m||25|
|Mount St. Helens||2550 m||33|
|Mount Fuji||3776 m||48|
|Mount Kilimanjaro||5895 m||76|
|Mount Everest||8848 m||113|
1 point = 1 flight of stairs climbed
1 flight of stairs = 3 metres of elevation OR approx. 16 steps up
- 5 flights of stairs (with 16 steps each) to reach your office = 5 points
- Wreck Beach stairs have approx. 400 steps = 25 points (400/16) (approximate depending on the trail)
- 144 stars on an outdoor trail or park with stairs = 9 points (144 steps/16 steps)
- One 60 minute step aerobics class = 20 points
- Count the number of steps you do in 1 minute and multiply it by the number of minutes you workout
Hiking/walking with incline:
- 853 meters (Grouse Grind elevation) = 284 points (853 metres/3 metres)
- Participation prizes will be awarded each week through random draws.
- A prize will be drawn at the Meet Up events.
- One individual prize will be awarded for the highest climber in the individual category after four weeks.
- Team prizes will be awarded based on the highest average points per participant after four weeks for the top-performing team.
Please help us share these Stair Challenge resources:
- Promotional Poster
- Challenge Factsheet
- UBCV’s Top Stair Challenge Stairs & Hikes to Climb
- UBCO’s Top Stair Challenge Stairs to Climb
Did you know?
- Stair climbing requires 8-9 times more energy expenditure than sitting.
- It counts as ‘vigorous’ physical activity and burns more calories per minute than jogging.
- You burn roughly 1.5 calories for every 10 steps.
- For buildings with five floors or less, it’s nearly always quicker to take the stairs.
- Studies show office workers save up to 15 minutes a day by taking the stairs.
- Stair climbing cuts carbon emissions. You could save between 0.3 & 0.6Kg of CO2/day.
- It can lead to improved cardiovascular health and stronger joints and muscles.
Start training now with this Stair Climbing Workout, beginner and advanced.