The Central Relocation Fund supports eligible faculty and senior management moving to Metro Vancouver to work at the Vancouver Campus or to the Kelowna area to work at the Okanagan Campus.
The amount of reimbursement from the fund depends on where the individual or family is moving from and on the number of dependents relocating. The amounts in this table are the overall limits available to use towards eligible relocation expenses. Expenses that go beyond the overall limit won’t be reimbursed from the central relocation fund.
Note: “Designated Professional” is the term used in the relocation policy for the relocating faculty member or senior management staff.
Central Relocation Fund table
(Overall limit excluding additional allowance limits)
|Number of People in Move||Reimbursement to Department for Relocations Originating|
|Designated Professional alone||$7,000||$8,000|
|Designated Professional accompanied by Dependant(s)||$7,000 plus $500 per Dependant||$8,000 plus $1,000 per Dependant|
|Designated Professional and Spouse||$9,000||$10,000|
|Designated Professional and Spouse accompanied by Dependant(s)||$9,000 plus $500 per Dependant||$10,000 plus $1,000 per Dependant|
|Additional Allowance Limits||Reimbursement to Department|
|Tax and Financial Advising Services||$1,000|
The above Central Relocation Fund Table is in effect since December 21, 2017, and will be amended from time to time by the Vice President, Human Resources. Any revisions to the table will be in effect on the date of posting.
Aside from the overall limits listed in the table above, the relocation policy outlines limits on individual expense items. These limits are flexible within the overall limit and individual expense item limits are outlined below:
Flexible guidelines for individual expense items within overall limit
Only expenses for personal passenger car, van or truck (up to 1/2 ton pickups) will be permitted. The rates are as follows:
- <500km – 0$
- 500km or greater, by rail or truck, only at market rates, not to exceed $2500 using the most appropriate service
- Rates as they apply under Policy FM8- Business Expenses (formerly Policy #83) and related documents but not to exceed $2,500
Dependant care allowance
Only if authorized and then for no more than $25 per day per Dependant.
Customs and immigration related expenses
Provided UBC incurs the expense or specifically authorizes the expenditure in advance, which may include designating the service provider, UBC will pay for the listed expenses of the Designated Professional, Spouse, and Dependants to a cumulative maximum of $3,000 incurred within 3 years of the acceptance of the offer of employment:
- Translation of documents where translation is required by UBC and/or the Canadian government.
- Medical examinations required by UBC and/or the Canadian government.
- Immigration, work permit, and residency visa fees levied by the Canadian government.
- Police criminal record checks and fingerprinting.
- Healthcare insurance premiums of the family or individual to be covered for up to 3 months immediately preceding that individual’s eligibility for coverage by the British Columbia Medical Services Plan.
Note: UBC doesn’t pay for:
- Emigration or border fees levied by foreign governments
- Legal services or documents
- Duties and taxes on personal goods (e.g., vehicle).
Household and Personal Effects
The maximum storage expenses for Household and Personal Effects is one month’s storage, if required, and one-time delivery into and out of the storage facility.
The maximum weight covered for Household and Personal Effects is as set out in the Household and Personal Effects Weight Allowance Table below.
|Number of People in Move||Weight Allowance|
|Designated Professional alone||2724 kg (6,000 pounds)|
|Designated Professional accompanied by Dependant(s)||2724 kg (6,000 pounds), plus
455 kg (1,000 pounds) per Dependant
|Designated Professional and Spouse||4550 kg (10,000 pounds)|
|Designated Professional and Spouse accompanied by Dependant(s)||4550 kg (10,000 pounds), plus
455 kg (1,000 pounds) per Dependant