Your UBC Life Insurance Plans include the following mandatory and optional life insurance plans:
How do I make a change to my life insurance policies?
You can make the following changes to you and your spouse’s life insurance policies in Workday:
- Changing your Basic Life beneficiary (employee only)
- Changing your Optional Life beneficiary
- Applying for Optional Life/AD&D for the first time, or increasing coverage
- Cancelling Optional Life/AD&D, reducing coverage or change in smoker/non-smoker status
Visit Making enrolment changes for more information on how to make a change to your life insurance policies.
How do I submit a life insurance claim?
If you die, your beneficiary or executor must contact UBC Human Resources to submit a life insurance claim. We can only communicate directly with the designated beneficiary, beneficiaries or trustees that are on file. They will be asked to provide all of the following information in writing:
- name of deceased
- date of death
- a copy of the death certificate certified by a lawyer, notary or Commissioner of Oaths
UBC Human Resources will then provide the necessary claim forms and help with the claim submission process.
If your spouse or dependent child dies and was covered for Optional Life Insurance, please contact UBC Human Resources to initiate a claim.
Please contact Janet McHugh at 604-822-6823 or firstname.lastname@example.org to submit a life insurance claim.
How do I apply for a loan against my life insurance?
If you are diagnosed with a terminal illness and are expected to live less than 24 months, you may be eligible to apply for a Living Benefits loan, which can provide some financial relief.
For more information about Living Benefits loans, including details about the application and approval process, contact UBC Benefits.
For more information
The outline above is a descriptive summary of the plan and is not a contract. All terms and conditions are governed by Contract Number 050555 with Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. In the event of a discrepancy, benefits will be paid according to the official document and applicable legislation.
For complete details about your Life Insurance Plans, refer to the Sun Life benefits booklet for your employee group.
- BCGEU Childcare
- BCGEU Okanagan
- CUPE 116
- CUPE 2278
- CUPE 2950
- IUOE 115
- Faculty: includes Faculty and Academic Executive
- Management and Professional: includes Management & Professional and Administrative Executive
- Non-union: includes Executive Administrative, Farm Workers and Non-Union Technicians and Research Assistants