You may need to take a leave to attend to business related to your work at the University or to the union to which you belong.
Some of these leaves are paid and others are unpaid. Your eligibility for these leaves depends on your employee group.
Leaves related to university matters include:
- administrative leaves
- university committee leaves
- leaves at the request of the university
- exchange leaves
Leaves related to union matters include:
- union business
- negotiations and grievance pay provisions
- full-time union or public duties
If you are a member of the Academic Executive, you may be granted paid administrative leave in accordance with Policy AP5 – Deans/Principals Appointment (formerly Policy #21).
University committee leave
If you are a member of BCGEU Okanagan, you can take a paid leave to attend meetings of a University committee to which you have been elected or appointed.
Leave at the request of the university
If you are a member of the Academic Executive, BCGEU Okanagan or Faculty employee groups, you may be granted a paid leave as described below:
- Academic Executive: If you are a full-time Academic Executive, you may be granted a paid leave if requested by the University to pursue special studies or research.
- BCGEU Okanagan: You may be granted a paid leave to attend a course in connection with your employment.
- Faculty: If you are a full-time faculty member, you may requested to take a paid leave of absence to carry on special studies or research (for eligible members of the Faculty Association, please refer to Collective Agreement for details).
If you are a member of BCGEU Okanagan on a regular full-time appointment with three or more years of service, you can exchange positions with an individual of comparable qualifications and experience for one year, with full salary and benefits during the exchange period. You are responsible for initiating the negotiation with your counterpart.
Leaves for union business
You may need to take a leave for union business. This includes time off for:
- union conventions, annual meetings, steward seminars, steward activity or perform other functions on behalf of the union,
- negotiations, grievances, arbitration, joint University/union committees, and
- full-time union or public duties.
The employee groups that are eligible for these types of leave are:
- BCGEU Childcare
- BCGEU Okanagan
- CUPE 116
- CUPE 2278
- CUPE 2950
The leave may be paid or unpaid, depending on the type of leave. Refer to your collective agreement for more details.