We are currently experiencing technical problems. If you are applying for credit-course Tuition Waivers for yourself or your dependent(s), you will need to use a manual process until the issue is resolved. If you’ve made an application using the manual process on or after January 12, 2021, Enrolment Services will be automatically applying a deferral for all credit-course tuition waivers until the technical issue is resolved. If you have already contacted Enrolment Services to request a deferral, your request will continue to be processed until January 25, 2021. For details and to learn more please visit the Tuition Waivers page. 

Marriage & Common Law

Congratulations on your marriage or your common-law relationship. If you are married or are in a common-law relationship, you may want to add your spouse or partner to your benefit coverage. This means that your spouse or partner will be able to receive coverage for many benefits offered through UBC, including health benefits.

You can read more about these topics below, but here’s a summary of what you need to do:

  • If you are changing your name after getting married, you’ll need to let us know.
  • You may want to enrol your spouse or partner in UBC benefits.
  • You may want to add your spouse or partner as your life insurance beneficiary.
  • Your spouse or partner is automatically the designated beneficiary of your pension benefit.

How do I let UBC know about my name change?

If you change your legal name after your marriage, you need to let us know by by changing your name in Workday. You will need to upload supporting documentation including a copy of your marriage certificate and Social Insurance Card showing your new name.

Once your name is changed in Workday, it will automatically be updated with Sun Life (for your extended health and dental benefits), as well as the UBC Staff or Faculty Pension Plan.

Please also notify your Department Administrator of your name change.

Login to Workday

For Workday resources and help visit the Integrated Service Centre.

What UBC benefits are available to my spouse or partner?

Your spouse or partner, if eligible, can enrol as your dependent in the following benefits:

If you are eligible for Basic Life insurance, your spouse can also apply for UBC’s Optional Life Insurance and Optional Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance. All applications are subject to approval by the insurer, Sun Life.

If you are eligible as part of your employee group, you may transfer up to 12 UBC undergraduate credits to your spouse under your Tuition Fee Waiver.

How can I add my spouse or partner to my benefit plan?


You may want to add your spouse or partner to your MSP coverage. Information on how to add a dependent to your MSP coverage is available through the Medical Services Plan website.

Extended Health/Dental

You may want to add your spouse or partner to your extended health and dental coverage. Depending on your employee group, there may be a monthly cost to you for this benefit. Learn about premium rates for your employee group.

You can add your spouse or partner to your extended health and dental coverage in Workday. For more information about adding your spouse or partner refer to Making enrolment changes page. 

If you enrol your spouse or partner as your dependent and they do the same for you under their employer plan, you may be able to receive up to 100% reimbursement for your medical and dental claims by coordinating your benefits claims between benefits plans.

Employee and Family Assistance Program

All eligible UBC employees are automatically enrolled in EFAP.  You can add your spouse or partner to the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) in Workday. There is no additional cost to you to add a dependent.

For more information about adding your spouse or partner refer to Making enrolment changes page. 

How do I name my spouse or partner the beneficiary of my life insurance?

You may want to name your spouse or partner as the beneficiary on your life insurance through UBC (Basic and/or Optional Life). You can do this in Workday. For more information visit Making enrolment changes page.

What about my pension?

Under the provincial Pension Benefits Standards Act, there are specific regulations defining your spouse’s rights to your pension. Please contact the UBC Pension Administration Office for more information.


The benefits information on this website is provided as a descriptive summary only. While the University has endeavored to accurately reflect its benefit programs, policies and plans, the information on this website does not create any contractual or other rights between the University and its faculty and staff members. To the extent that there are any conflicts or discrepancies between the benefits information on this website and the benefit plan documents (including group insurance contracts and benefit booklets) or any applicable collective agreement, employment agreement, or UBC policy, the benefit plan documents and collective agreement, employment agreement, or UBC policy will govern in all cases.

UBC Crest The official logo of the University of British Columbia. Urgent Message An exclamation mark in a speech bubble. Caret An arrowhead indicating direction. Arrow An arrow indicating direction. Arrow in Circle An arrow indicating direction. Arrow in Circle An arrow indicating direction. Time A clock. Chats Two speech clouds. E-commerce Cart A shopping cart. Facebook The logo for the Facebook social media service. Home A house in silhouette. Information The letter 'i' in a circle. Instagram The logo for the Instagram social media service. Linkedin The logo for the LinkedIn social media service. Location Pin A map location pin. Locked A locked padlock. Mail An envelope. Menu Three horizontal lines indicating a menu. Minus A minus sign. Pencil A pencil indicating that this is editable. Telephone An antique telephone. Play A media play button. Plus A plus symbol indicating more or the ability to add. Search A magnifying glass. Settings A single gear. Speech Bubble A speech bubble. Star An outline of a star. Twitter The logo for the Twitter social media service. Unlocked An unlocked padlock. User A silhouette of a person. Vimeo The logo for the Vimeo video sharing service. Youtube The logo for the YouTube video sharing service.